On July 01, 2020, the Saudi-led Arab coalition announced the launch of a military operation against targets of the Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen, after it recently stepped up cross-border missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia.
The operation is aimed at neutralizing and destroying sophisticated capabilities and responding to threats.
Residents of rebel-held capital, Sanaa, told AFP they heard large explosions and saw plumes of smoke on July 1. This follows at least a dozen airstrikes on the international airport, close to an air force base.
The representative of Houthi said the coalition launched 57 airstrikes on Sanaa and their northern stronghold of Saada, according to the Yemini television channel Al-Masirah.
There were no official reports of casualties, but Houthi said a woman and girl were killed in Saada. Additionally, a number of children were wounded.
“The operation came in response to the threat of the Houthi militia after they launched ballistic missiles as well as drones from the occupied capital Sanaa, as well as Saada,” coalition spokesman Turki al-Maliki told reporters in Riyadh.
Last month, the coalition intercepted and destroyed drones and ballistic missiles launched into the kingdom by the Houthis, including one fired towards Riyadh.
The crisis escalated after the Saudi-led coalition intervened to support Yemen’s internationally-recognized government.
Tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions displaced in what the United Nations has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
Yemen, the Arab world’s poorest country, is devastated by conflict and malnutrition. In addition, the country also faces the coronavirus pandemic that its health system is ill-equipped to handle.
This article was edited using the data from english.aawsat.com, english.alarabiya.net, and www.thedefensepost.com